Weymouth & Portland Field Trip, September 2019
Bowleaze Cove, Weymouth
The 2019 SCOPAC field trip takes members and officers to Weymouth & Portland, Dorset, on Thursday 19th September, from 09.30-15.15
Meet at Weymouth Park & Ride/Weymouth Train Station. Itinerary for the day:
- 09:45 Collect Members who travelled by car at Veasta Roundabout (Weymouth Park & Ride)
- 10:20 Coach pick-up Weymouth Station
- 10:30-10:40 Visit Bowleaze Cove where Neil Watson from the Environment Agency will explain the complex cliffs landscape and challenges along this section of the coast. There will also be a quick stop at Lodmoor to briefly talk about the challenges of the historic landfill and the Preston Beach Road scheme.
- 11:00-12:00 Walk around historic Weymouth Harbour and the Peninsula with talks from Matthew Penny and Sean Norsworthy from Dorset Council on the situation of the aging harbour walls and the challenges faced with replacement and a talk to cover the new Beach management plan for Weymouth Beach will also include.
- Walk to Cosens Quay Car Park where the coach will be waiting for us for departure at 12:00
- 12:30 Lunch (Portland Heights Hotel)
- 13:15 Portland heights vista where Sam Scriven from Jurassic Coast Trust will inform us on the management of the World Heritage Site and interactions with coastal protection in this area.
- 14:00 Chiswell Portland. Matthew Penny will talk about the Chesil Cove stability problems and council defences, followed by Neil Watson on the current EA flood defence scheme.
- 14:45 Depart Chiswell Masonic car park
- 15:00 Station Drop off
- 15:15 Park and Ride Drop off.
To confirm your attendance, please email the SCOPAC scretariat by 17:00 on Thursday 12th September* – email@example.com
*to enable suitable transport to be arranged; please also state if you have any dietary requirements.