Christchurch Bay Field Trip, June 2017
The June 2017 SCOPAC field trip took elected members and officers to Highcliffe and Avon beach in Dorset to view the different sections of cliff and recent beach recycling, respectively.
The themes explored were:
- Sediment transport study overview for the bay
- Managing Christchurch Harbour entrance and nourishing the beaches
- Quantifying amenity benefits in the coast protection business case
- SMP-wide BMP
- Managing old sea walls and promenades in the face of increased storminess
- Barton-on-Sea management issues
- Hurst Spit renourishment project
The day commenced with talks in the Burry Suite at Hoburne Park (see below) before heading out in the field where Neil Watson, Professor Vince May and Steve Woolard gave delegates a tour of the area.
PDF (4Mb) / Neil Watson, Environment Agency and Southern Coastal Group Chair
PDF (1Mb) / Dave Robson, Borough of Poole
PDF (2Mb) / Steve Woolard, Christchurch Borough Council
SCOPAC would like to thank the speakers for their informative talks, and Neil Watson for organising an interesting day.