Welcome to SCOPAC
Standing Conference on Problems Associated with the Coastline
SCOPAC is an influential network of local authorities and other key organisations that share an interest in the management of the shoreline of central southern England.
Established in 1986 SCOPAC’s role has been to assist members in developing a co-ordinated and sustainable approach to coastal risk management by commissioning research and sharing information.
The SCOPAC area of interest extends from Lyme Regis in the west to Shoreham-by-Sea in the east and includes the Isle of Wight.
One of SCOPAC’s key objectives is the commissioning of research. We are also proactive in supporting member organisations and their responsibilities, and furthering our understanding of a wide range of coastal defence issues.
Some of our key activities include:
- Promoting Shoreline Management Plans (SMPs) relating to the SCOPAC coastline;
- Providing a forum for a range of Government, Local Authority and other bodies involved in coastal issues and the associated legislation;
- Responding to House of Commons committee inquiries;
- Providing advice and guidance on the management of the SCOPAC coastline;
- Exploration of external research funding.
News / Latest Online
Assessing the performance of timber groynes at Bournemouth Beach
A 29 year field-test of 5 different species. Reports online now
The importance of working together. New publication, now available to download
Healthy Estuaries project 2020
Jo Brooksbank, Natural England
Utilisation of RCMP data to understand coastal processes
Awards for 2018/19 and 2019/20
Swanage Pier WaveRex analysis and
Kirk Arrow Spit, Selsey evolution
Hydrodynamic controls on nearshore sediment sizes in Poole Bay
Bradbury’s Bursary 2019
Awarded to Xue Ting, Ong (Gladys)
Sediment Transport Study