Welcome to SCOPAC
Standing Conference on Problems Association with the Coastline
SCOPAC is an influential network of local authorities and other key organisations that share an interest in the management of the shoreline of central southern England.
Established in 1986 SCOPAC’s role has been to assist members in developing a co-ordinated and sustainable approach to coastal risk management by commissioning research and sharing information.
The SCOPAC area of interest extends from Lyme Regis in the west to Shoreham-by-Sea in the east and includes the Isle of Wight.
One of SCOPAC’s key objectives is the commissioning of research. We are also proactive in supporting member organisations and their responsibilities, and furthering our understanding of a wide range of coastal defence issues.
Some of our key activities include:
- Promoting Shoreline Management Plans (SMPs) relating to the SCOPAC coastline;
- Providing a forum for a range of Government, Local Authority and other bodies involved in coastal issues and the associated legislation;
- Responding to House of Commons committee inquiries;
- Providing advice and guidance on the management of the SCOPAC coastline;
- Exploration of external research funding.
News / Latest Online
Research project completed, report now available
New research comparing extreme events and winters using sea level and wave data sets